By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays by means of specialist students disguise crucial gains of yank know-how, together with advancements in cars, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are prepared, comparable to within the engineering occupation, govt, drugs and agriculture
- Includes discussions of the way applied sciences engage with race, gender, type, and different organizing constructions in American society
Read or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar history of technology & engineering books
The articles during this first quantity of ARCHIMEDES explicitly and deliberately pass barriers among technological know-how and expertise, and so they remove darkness from each other. the 1st 3 contributions predicament optics and in nineteenth century Germany; the fourth issues electrical criteria in Germany through the comparable interval; the final essay within the quantity examines a curious improvement within the early historical past of instant signalling that came about in England, and that has a lot to claim in regards to the institution and enforcement of ordinary tools in a rapidly-developing expertise that emerged out of a systematic impact.
GPS Declassified examines the improvement of GPS from its mystery, chilly battle army roots to its emergence as a global patron undefined. Drawing on formerly unexplored files, the authors learn how army rivalries stimulated the production of GPS and formed public perceptions approximately its beginning.
Drawing on essays from prime overseas and multi-disciplinary students, A better half to the Philosophy of expertise is the 1st complete and authoritative reference resource to hide the main problems with technology’s impression on society and our lives. offers the 1st entire, authoritative reference paintings within the box geared up thematically to be used either as an entire advent to the sector or an encyclopedic reference attracts on unique essays from major interdisciplinary students beneficial properties the main up to date and leading edge learn within the interdisciplinary fields of philosophy, expertise, and their broader highbrow environments
Within the mid-twentieth century, American plant breeders, pissed off via their dependence on common edition in developing new plants and vegetation, eagerly sought applied sciences which can expand human keep an eye on over nature. Their seek led them to rejoice a sequence of wierd instruments: an x-ray beam directed at dormant seeds, a drop of chromosome-altering colchicine on a flower bud, and a section of radioactive cobalt in a box of turning out to be plants.
- Reverse Engineering Social Media: Software, Culture, and Political Economy in New Media Capitalism
- A History of Natural Philosophy: From the Ancient World to the Nineteenth Century
- GEMA: Birthplace of German Radar and Sonar
- Einblicke in die Frühzeit der Eisenverarbeitung: Sagen als "Fundorte" (Forschungen zur Thidrekssaga) (German Edition)
- Power over Peoples: Technology, Environments, and Western Imperialism, 1400 to the Present (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)
Additional info for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)